The 558th Flying Training Squadron is a Air Force unit assigned to the 12th Flying Training Wing at Randolph Air Force Base, Texas. The squadron trains Remotely Piloted Aircraft operators.
The first predecessor of thesquadronis the558th Bombardment Squadron, which was organized in 1942 as aMartin B-26 Marauderunit. After training in the United States, it deployed to theEuropean Theater of Operations, operating from England, and later fromAdvanced Landing Groundson the European continent. The squadron was awarded theDistinguished Unit Citationfor supporting beleaguered ground troops during theBattle of the Bulge. AfterV-E Day, the squadron returned to the United States and was inactivated at the Port of Embarkation,Camp Kilmer, New Jersey on 12 November 1945.
The squadron's other predecessor is the558th Tactical Fighter Squadronorganized as part of the Air Force's firstMcDonnell F-4 Phantom IIwing. The squadron served in combat in theVietnam Waruntil its inactivation in 1970. The two squadrons were consolidated in 1985 and activated as a flying training unit in 1992.